Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Violence Essay

“Hey this looks rather nice on me,” I said to myself as I modeled myself in front of the mirror, happily choosing clothes for this summer. Madison Mall as usual is filled with people of all ages, ranging from the locals to the tourists. It has famous restaurants to dine in, big screen theatres for movie viewing pleasure, and of course department stores with piles of heavily discounted clothes for us shoppers to rummage through.

As I chose the last piece, I heaved the pile of unsorted tanktops, skirts and blouses to the counter with a sigh of relief. While the cashier was slowly scanning the price tags, my eyes slowly wandered off, observing the various people present. A man dressed in a black t-shirt, jeans and covered with a shabby brown jacket caught my eye. He was sweating profusely as he browsed through the line up of shirts displayed, looking towards cashier every now and then.

“Phew that is a lot of clothes,” as the cashier smiled at me, while she scanned the last price tag. Focus now back on the cashier, I returned a smile and flashed my platinum card. Happily I glided my way towards the exit with both hands carrying several shopping bags. “Nothing can get better then this,” I thought to myself. “Bang!” a deafening sound echoed the store, tearing the happiness away from me.

I fell to the floor in fear, eyes closed, with both hands still clinging on to the shopping bags and an image of devastation hung in my head. I plucked up my courage and glanced at the source of the gunshot. To my shock, it was the man I noticed earlier! He was pointing a silver metallic pistol at the cashier, ready to fire any second.

“Hand over the money in the cash register now!” commanded the robber, as he threw an empty black bag at the cashier. Terrified, the cashier nodded her head and hurriedly filled the bag in no time. As the robber went up to collect the loot, two policemen came barging through the doors behind me. The gun now pointed towards my direction, made my heart skipped a beat as I fell even lower to the floor. Another few gun shots was heard, as I felt the two policemen falling down to the floor. Blood now stained my glittering t-shirt, hands and face, while I lay there, unable to react to what has happened.

The door blew open as the robber took the bag running away into his freedom. What
was left was only the two motionless policemen in a pool of blood, and the blood-stained shoeprints of the robber. Not long after, “bang!” another gunshot heard from a distant.

No comments: