“Ahhhh, finally a break from all the work,” I thought to myself as I cruised the long-stretched road, on my red slick convertible Porsche. Beside me sat my beautiful wife, Chloe. With her long blonde hair blown back by the wind, her face glittered like an angel under the morning sun. Nothing could be more fantastic then just the two of us out to our private cottage, away from the hectic life that lay in New York City.
Our cottage sat in the vast greenery, unbothered by any machinery. The serene environment provides a great place for my wife to start on her new book “The Life”,
which is about the colourful life of childhood. We started off the day having a picnic at the cottage’s backyard, where we lied there side by side staring at the cotton-like clouds that floated in the blue sky.
The moment lasted like a life-time, until dusk arrived when we headed back in, to
prepare for the night that awaited us. With the water from the well now boiling under the fireplace and the bed ready, Chloe started on her book. Now all I could do was admire the stars that blanketed the sky from horizon to horizon. I stood at the living room window, dazzled by the stars, which immune my senses to time.
By the time I came to realise that it was already pass midnight, my wife had already went to sleep. So I decided to drag my tired body to bed. An unearthly red glow in the sky caught my attention as I headed to the bedroom. Hurriedly, I made my way to the backyard, only to hear explosions and gatling of guns coming from the city’s direction.
A sense of fear went down my back as the cold icy wind howled at me. Before I could react within time, the patch of forest not far away from my backyard was now caught on fire. What once was a beautiful quiet scenery, now burned in flames and gave off the unearthly red glow that was seen in the sky. Frantically, I woke my wife up, and explained to her the events that were happening, as we packed and moved to the bomb shelter underneath the cottage.
The small but cosy bomb shelter had all the essential stuff we needed to survive for a month. Only a small light bulb hanging from the ceiling lit the room. Chloe and I hugged each other as the clock ticked passed dawn. We emerged out the bomb shelter to a place never before seen. A flat piece of land, covered with ashes and fires still burning, nothing was left. The colours of life faded past before my very eyes. Memories of everything I had got deleted, just like the devasting scene in front of me. Tears rolled down my eyes as I held Chloe’s hand and walked on the empty wasteland, in search of other that survived the total annihilation.
No comments:
Post a Comment